When people are getting started with sign and graphic design software, sometimes it can be a little intimidating. The first time people look at Illustrator, it can seem like a big scary monster that will never be defeated. Instead of trying to defeat it, try to think in terms of taming it. Better yet, opt for a graphic design application that’s not so scary. If you’re looking for a more user-friendly sign design app, Create Space is a great choice.
Create Space is graphic design software engineered for use with vinyl cutters cutting sign vinyl or heat transfer vinyl. Create Space has tons of great features like auto-tracing, contour-cutting, distortion effects, and more. Let’s dive in and see how Create Space graphic design software makes designing vinyl graphics less frightening.
Create Space Overview
Create Space is loaded with features creative people love. There are design tools to manage text, shapes, layers, and more. Create Space has over 20 effects that can be applied to different images, text, and other objects. These include effects for creating hot-fix rhinestone patterns, warping text and graphics, nesting, and generating QR Codes. Here are just some of the most popular design and production features in Create Space software.
Create Space graphic design software is compatible with MAC iOS and Windows computers. It’s been a while since we’ve had MAC compatible sign software and we’re excited to have a Mac-friendly solution again. The interface is simple and easy to learn. This makes Create Space ideal for crafters looking for the next step from hobby apps like Cricut Design Space or Silhouette Studio. You will be able to design directly in Create Space instead of using another design program.
Create Space can support quite a few vinyl cutters. For your convenience, we’ve included a list of supported vinyl cutters later in the article. Enough about hardware. Let’s get back to the software and talk about what makes Create Space cool.
Create Space Features
- Type Tools - Create Space allows you to arrange text in standard horizontal alignment, stack text vertically, or place text along an arc or a custom path.
- QR Code - Yes, you read that correctly, you can make a QR Code in the software. This allows you to connect your decals and designs with the world via web pages, bizcard contacts, email, phone numbers, SMS, and more!
- Print and Cut - Create Space supports print and cut workflows with desktop printers. It’s easy and we have tutorials that walk you through the process.
- Bulge - If you want to add a little extra pop to your text, you can use the Bulge tool. This adds fun and funky convex or concave warp effects to your designs.
- Font Preview - Sometimes you know a font by name, but aren’t sure it’s the right look for your design. Create Space has a handy interactive font preview that allows you to change your font while scrolling through the library to see how it looks on your screen.
- If you have existing files you’d like to carry over from previous craft & hobby software, you can rest assured your old designs won’t be lost. Create Space supports importing .svg files so you can use your old files and import new ones from the craftiverse.
- Raster Image Tracing - Create Space also supports tracing raster files like .jpegs. This is a great tool that allows you to convert web graphics into vinyl decals and turn printed images into contour-cut, peel and stick decals and T-shirt transfers.
Now, you are probably wondering what you can do with Create Space. That’s a great question. The answer is, almost everything! You can use it to make car window decals, wall graphics, heat transfer vinyl for shirt designs, decals for drinkware, and stencils for wood signs and related crafts. Because Create Space graphic design software supports desktop print and cut workflow, you can use it to create opaque t-shirt transfers with printable HTV like Logical Color DarkJET or Siser EasySubli. The print and cut function in Create Space is for desktop printers only. To support large format printing and cutting, you’ll need a more robust software option like LXI RIP Design or FlexiSign & Print.
Technical Details & Specifications
Since we’ve tiptoed into technical territory, let’s address those pesky hardware details.
Connectivity: Create Space supports three ways to connect your cutter. You can do it the old-fashioned way and connect directly with a USB Cable. If you want to work without being tethered to the cutter, you can use the USB flash drive or “u-disc” option with MUSE, Rogue series, and Graphtec FC9000 series cutters. And if your device has a wifi option, Create Space will handle that too. The U-disc and wifi options are great for decluttering your work area and eliminating trip hazards from cables.
If you are reading this and thinking “How do I know if I can use this software with my computer or vinyl cutter?” we’ve got you covered. Here are the hardware requirements, compatible Operating systems, and supported vinyl cutters.
- 512 MB of RAM or more
- At least 50MB of available hard disk space
- USB Port 1.1 or 2.x
- Intel-based Macintosh (Mac) Macintosh OSX 10.10 or higher
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
Supported Vinyl Cutters:
Create Space works with lots of different vinyl cutters. Here is the list of vinyl cutters available from SIGNWarehouse that are compatible and supported.
- Graphtec - CE-5000, CE-6000, and CE-7000 series, CE-LITE 50, and FC series.
- Roland - Stika, Camm-1 CX-12, CX-24, GX-24, and GS-24.
- Silhouette - CAMEO 1, 2, 3, 4, Curio, Portrait 1 & 2, and SD
- Vinyl Express - R-Series, EnduraCUT 2, 3, and Plus, Rogue Series, Qe6000, and Q Series
- MUSE - M15, M24, and M60
The list of available cutters in the software is actually much larger than the list above. Some of those are much older devices like the Vinyl Express Panther. So why didn’t the Panther make our supported cutters list? Vinyl cutters and other connected devices need to have compatible firmware. Modern computers use 64-bit operating systems. Older cutters like the Lynx were made for much simpler 16 and 32-bit OS and may not be able to communicate with the PC. And some of the vinyl cutters are not compatible with Mac iOS. So those options may show up in your Create Space cutters list, but they’re not supported
Support and Training
Speaking of support, we have a very user-friendly archive of support resources for Create Space customers. Click here to view the Create Space setup and installation video. We also have a library of video tutorials that show you how to use some of the different effects and tools in the software.
How to Purchase
By now, you’re probably wondering, ‘what’s the catch? How much does all this cost?’ Most graphic design software costs $499 or more. Software isn’t much good to crafters and micro-entrepreneurs if it’s not affordable. Create Space aces the affordability test at only $149. That’s a great price for someone that wants to create personal decals or start a small business.
We have two ways that the software can be purchased, either Digital delivery or Email delivery. They may sound the same but they’re slightly different. If you are buying Create Space by itself, you can choose Digital delivery and receive your activation code immediately with your order confirmation. You may also opt for the Email delivery option. In this case, you’ll receive your activation code by email the next business day after your order is processed. If you purchase this way and haven’t received it, check your spam or junk folder.
If you purchase any vinyl cutter starter package that includes Create Space software, you’ll receive your license by email delivery. The instructions and activation code will be included in the packaging along with the Quick Start Guide for your vinyl cutter.
Now there’s no reason to be intimidated by graphic design software. Create Space is simple and easy to use but comes packed with vector design features you can use to make fun personal decals or sellable commercial signs and HTV transfers. It supports a ton of vinyl cutters from craft cutters to full-size pro series machines. It’s a truly cross-platform app that works on both Windows and Mac computers. We have lots of helpful videos to guide you through setup and learning. With the digital delivery option, you can download the software minutes after purchase. And you get all that for only $149.00 If you’re looking for a vinyl graphic design app that’s fun, easy, flexible, and affordable, you’re gonna love Create Space